Located in the Mount Vernon Historic District of Baltimore City, this 9-story structure was constructed in the early nineteen hundreds as a luxury apartment building. In the mid-1940’s, it was converted to professional offices, and came to be known as the Medical Arts Building. Despite this use for over 60 years, most of the original apartment layouts were kept intact, along with a wealth of historic interior details — fluted columns, cornices, coved ceilings, chair rails, wall paneling, fireplace mantels, paneled doors and casings.
The project entailed converting the original luxury apartments to 56 smaller, energy-efficient, market-rate units, and upgrading the building to comply with current codes while preserving the historic details. Several apartments have been designed as fully-accessible units. In addition, the exterior facades have been preserved and restored, and the entrance has been sensitively adapted to make the building handicap accessible.